Monday, February 15, 2016

Cold Front Ice Cream and my First Egg Cream

This morning, the boys and I stopped at Cold Front Soda Fountain just a few miles away here in St. Paul. Cold Front had just celebrated it's 1-year birthday a few days ago.


Cold Front Soda Fountain

Cold Front Soda Fountain
Birthday balloons and candy were still all over!

I got the boys 2 mini ice cream cones, and I got an "Egg Cream" soda for myself:

Cold Front Soda Fountain
My boys and their ice cream: "Birthday Cake" for my 1-yr-old, and "Superman" for my 4-yr-old.

Cold Front Soda Fountain
My first Egg Cream. It's chocolate syrup, milk, and carbonated water.
(So no EGG and no CREAM.)

Steve (the owner) put the 3 ingredients in the glass, got our attention, and said "here's the kinda magical part." It looked just like water with milky bubbles on the top, but then he started stirring the chocolate syrup at the bottom. In just a few seconds, it transformed to what you see above.


Cold Front Soda Fountain
My boys drank half my Egg Cream. Really.

Cold Front Soda Fountain
My funny dates at Cold Front.

So I suppose I should review the Egg Cream. Here I go:


Brand: Cold Front Egg Cream.

Origin: Cold Front, St. Paul, MN.

Purchase Place: Cold Front, St. Paul, MN.

Sweetener: High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar (according to the Fox's U-Bet Chocolate Syrup website).

Review: The owner mentioned that this is a much lighter version of a cold chocolate milk that would be tasty on a hot day (where ACTUAL chocolate milk might be too heavy - remember "milk was a bad choice" from Anchorman?). It was like a light, refreshing, fizzy chocolate milk. It was FAR from heavy - Steve was right in saying it'd be great on a summer afternoon. Interesting flavor combo. I'll rank it just above average, and would totally have it again.

Score: 6.5 out of 10.


Oh, and as the boys were wrapping up their cones, my younger one was tempting and teasing my older one:

Cold Front Soda Fountain
"Oh, do you want a bite of my cone?…"

Cold Front Soda Fountain
"… PSYCH! It's going in MY mouth!"

This was only our second stop at Cold Front - we only stopped there last February for some sodas just after they opened, and hadn't been back! We need to go back SOONER the 3rd time…

No comments:

Post a Comment