Thursday, August 1, 2013

Malta Goya

I knew nothing about this when I grabbed it. I thought it sounded Mexican.

Malta Goya

It had a distinct (not good) taste. I had to look up more info. I found this on Wikipedia:
Malta (also called young beer, children's beer, or wheat soda) is a type of soft drink. It is a carbonated malt beverage, meaning it is brewed from barley, hops, and water much like beer; corn and caramel color may also be added. However, Malta is non-alcoholic, and is consumed in the same way as soda or cola in its original carbonated form, and to some extent, iced tea in non-carbonated form. 
In other words, Malta is actually a beer that has not been fermented. It is similar in color to stout (dark brown) but is very sweet, generally described as tasting like molasses. Unlike beer, ice is often added to Malta when consumed. A popular way Latin Americans sometimes drink Malta is by mixing it with condensed or evaporated milk.
It DOES taste like molasses. And not in a good way. I'm curious how it would taste with condensed or evaporated milk as suggested. I might have to try that. Key word: might.


Brand: Malta Goya.

Origin: Wilkes-Barre, PA.

Purchase Place: Frattallone's Ace Hardware, Burnsville, MN.

Sweetener: High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Review: It wasn't good. Not at all. It wasn't even that "interesting." It tasted like thin, carbonated, nutty molasses. Yuck. Maybe the best line I found about it online was on UrbanDictionary: "A substance so terrible that it's creators should be murdered, or worse, forced to drink it themselves." Yep, that's about right. I'm giving this my 2nd ever "1" rating.

Score: 1 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment