Saturday, November 3, 2012

Steve Q's Homemade Root Beer

Last weekend, I had my first homemade root beer since about 5th grade.

Steve's 389 Root Beer
Foam cups and 2 liters of root beer in the grass on a Fall day.

It was from Steve Q, who I met about 2 years ago through my triathlon / running blog. Since then, we've met-up at a few races.  He knew my wife and I were going to be cheering at the Monster Dash race, so he met us with his root beer. Apparently, both Steve and I are BIG root beer fans.

The first thing I noticed is that it hardly had ANY head in Steve's root beer. He said that people making their own root beer have to add some weird things to add foam, and he'd rather keep "weird thing" out. The best thing he asked before he let me try any of it was "You're not allergic to much... are you?" I knew I was in for a treat.

Brand: "389" (named for the bottle Steve mixes it in, which was used in an analytical chemistry lab in the 1980s)

Origin: Maplewood, MN.

Purchase Place: Not purchased anywhere... just consumed in the blvd along Summit Ave last weekend.

Sweetener: Sucrose.

Review: Thick, flavorful, and delicious. (Notice the ring it left in the cup in the photo above.) It could have used some foam, but it was still REALLY good.

Score: 8.5 out of 10.

2 comments:

  1. So it didn't beat Lost Trail... but at least you preferred it to the Sweet Corn Soda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most things are better than that Sweet Corn Soda.... :)

      Delete